Below is a list of authors about which we have received the largest number of complaints regarding unethical practices or about whom, based on documentation, are the most unethical authors. Every author listed has been identified as using many of the following unethical practices:
1. Sockpuppets – including fake users and identities created by the author, friends of author, or associates of the author for the purpose of promoting the author through reviews, discussions, and other commentary.
2. Paid reviews – including reviews purchased from paid review companies, such as Fiverr.com, GettingBookReviews, Craigslist, and others.
3. Paid endorsements – including endorsements and celebrity endorsements bought from Buysellads.com and others.
4. Traded reviews – including reviews traded between authors whether as favors, kickbacks, referrals, or otherwise.
5. Swapped endorsements – including endorsements swapped between authors whether as favors, kickbacks, referrals, or otherwise.
6. Compensated reviews – including reviews bought with promises of remuneration or gifts, such as gift cards given to readers for reviews or merchandise give to readers for reviews, including free kindles.
7. Fake fans or street teams – including paid promoters, friends, family and acquaintances who act as fans and are used to create fake buzz for the author.
8. Misrepresented associations – including authors who repeatedly and habitually misrepresent their associations with author friends they praise publicly.
As we update this list from time, be sure to check back periodically. The list begins with the most egregious offenders:
Hugh Howey – Hugh Howey is the only author, based on documentation, identified as using every unethical practice listed above. Hugh Howey is quite possibly the most notorious author fraud, having purchased thousands of reviews and having used paid promotion teams extensively to act as fake fans.
Melissa Foster – Melissa Foster has the dubious distinction of being the queen of fake writing awards and the only author for which we considered creating an all new category: fake awards.
David Dalglish – David Dalglish has the dubious distinction of quite possibly being the most hateful author alive as he regularly purchases reviews to trash other authors.
A M Hargrove
A Meredith Walters
B V Larson
C C Cole
Cheryl Kaye Tardif
Cheryl Kaye Tardiff
D A Graystone
D Ryan Leask
David A Wells
E L Lindley
Frederick Lee Brooke
H M Ward
J S Scott
Joanna Lee Doster
K J Bennett
L J Kentowski
Linda S Prather
M R Mathias
M Todd Gallowglas
Michael G Manning
Pamela Fagan Hutchins
Stephanie Lisa Tara
T R Harris
This list may not be reproduced without permission.